Le Hong Phong Gifted High School is the public high school for gifted students of Nam Dinh province. The previous name of Le Hong Phong high school was Thanh Chung high school, which was opened in 1920 with one class and admitted 45 students from Nam Dinh, Thai Binh, Hung Yen, Ha Nam, Ninh Binh. The classroom was a room near the present Department of the Post Office. The first Vietnamese teacher of the school was Mr. Nguyễn Văn Hiếu and the French inspector Lortex was the headmaster.
1921-1922: There were 2 classes, which borrowed classrooms in Cua Bac school. Two Vietnamese teachers, Mr. Vũ Văn Roãn and Mr. Hoàng Ngọc Phách, joined the teacher staff.
1922-1923: There were 3 classes. The school was located on Gốc Ngái Street. Mr. Nguyễn Văn Hiếu left for Hanoi in 1923. The teacher staff recruited Mr. Nguyễn Văn Bằng, Mai Phương, Nguyễn Gia Tường.
1923-1924: There were 4 classes. The school was relocated and renamed France-Vietname College of Primary Education.
1924-1925: There were 80 students (no females) in 1924, but because of the lack of classrooms, there were only 40 in 1925. In 1925, a French writer, Saclo Patris, was appointed as the headmaster.
1925-1928: There were a lot more Vietnamese teachers, including Mr. Trần Văn Hào, Trần Văn Chử, Vũ Tam Thám, Đỗ Hữu Phúc, Ngô Duy Cừ, Phạm Văn Bảng, Đào Văn Định, Vũ Tam Tập, Phan Đình Nghiu, Nguyễn Văn Chính, Phạm Văn Nam, Nguyễn Như Loan, Nguyễn Quang Xương, Vũ Văn Roãn. Phan Thế Roanh, Dương Quảng Hàm, and Phạm Cao Bạt. Students at Thanh Chung high school were famous for excellent study results as well as patriotism with a lot of support for the Revolution.
1930-1935: There were several changes in the bureaucracy of the school. The headmaster was Agard.
1931-1935: Under the brutal French oppression, many students quit school to enlist in the Revolutionary force. There were also outstanding students in this time such as: Trần Hữu Trí (pen name: Nam Cao, writer), Bùi Công Ký (musician), Nguyễn Văn Niêm (writer), Trần Lê Văn (writer), etc.
1936-1937: The headmaster Agard was expelled for offending the dignity of Vietnamese students, as well as the Vietnamese people. Pierre Maneval took his place. The French constructed 8 classes equipped with modern laboratory apparatuses on Cổng Hậu Street, which is now Thành Chung Street.
1937-1938: The school was relocated and began admitting 5 female students for each class, as well as some French-Vietnamese students. Some of the notable students who took part in revolutionary activities include Đào Năng An, Đình Gia Thái, Vũ Quốc Uy, Nguyễn Công Bổng, Phan Đình Đống, Phạm Văn Cương, Hà Văn Lộc and Nguyễn Bá Huấn. Unfortunately several of these students were imprisoned at the age of 16 and 17. Many of whom were imprisoned at the age of 16 and 17.
1939-1942: There were more Vietnamese teachers, such as Mr. Đỗ Văn Đoan, Thạch Quan Tuấn, Nguyễn Hữu Văn, Đào Đình Khánh, Nguyễn Thụy Hùng, Nguyễn Trọng Thuyết, Nguyễn Quang Hồ, Hà Văn Bính, etc. In 1942, the school was renamed The High School. Such students as Phạm Ngọc Khuê, Phạm Ngọc Lê, Trần Hữu Bái … joined activities of the Viet Minh Front and the August Revolution.
During this time, Mr. Phan Thế Roanh, and later Mr. Phó Đức Tố (a professor at Bưởi school) were appointed as the headmasters. The school moved back to Bến Ngự Street as the school on Cổng Hậu Street was seized by the Japanese army for barracks.
1946-1947: The school was renamed Nguyễn Khuyến Specialized High School, the first one of this kind in Nam Dinh, with Math-Physics-Chemistry Group and Natural History Group.
In 1947, during the period of the resistance war on the national scale, the school was moved to Yên Mô, Ninh Bình. Part of the school was moved to Xuân Trường, Nam Định.
In 1948, Nguyen Khuyen School was moved to Thanh Hóa and was renamed Nguyễn Thượng Hiền Specialized High School with Group of Math-Physics-Chemistry, Group of Natural History and Group of Foreign Languages. The school was a magnet for a lot of excellent students all over Northern Vietnam and Northern Central Vietnam.
1952-1953: In the Inter-region 3, there were some new high schools such as Hoa Lư, Cù Chính Lan, Nguyễn Quốc Trị, La Văn Cầu, and Hồ Tùng Mậu, whose headmasters were teachers from Nguyễn Thượng Hiền School. After freedom was established, these schools united to become Inter-region 3 High School, located in Nam Dinh city (1954).
In 1959, Inter-region 3 High School was renamed Lê Hồng Phong High School.
From 1965 to 1972, due to the attack from the American army in the Northern Vietnam, the school was moved to Nhân Tiến and Nhân Thắng in Physics Nhân, Hà Nam. In 1973, it was moved back to Nam Dinh City. In 1993, Nam Dinh People’s Committee decided to change the name of the school into Le Hong Phong High School for Gifted Students. Since then, Le Hong Phonghigh school for gifted students has been known as one among the best high schools for the gifted in the country, with a number of achievements in studying and teaching.
GENERATIONS OF PRINCIPALS